Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Nobody

Four years flew by quickly. Too quickly. Being a Ballard Bomber basketball player is one of the best things in the world. I played for the best program in the state, with the best coaches in the state, and with some of the most competitive girls in the state. Every single moment was a blast.

After the sad loss of my last basketball game ever wearing a (beautiful) Ballard jersey, I was brought into the media room, and asked questions by different reporters. In the corner of a crowded room, a tall reporter asked me to "reflect on my last four years" Naturally, I started crying while trying to put my many thoughts to words. I failed, and I'm pretty sure it sounded like, "It'sbeenreallyfun *Sobs* Iloveballard *sobs even more* greatcoaches *wipes snot from face* Somanymemories" Now, after having almost twelve hours to reflect on my last four years, I have been able organize my thoughts a little more (I think).

For four years, I wore a label that read Basketball player. If I had a bad game, I would have a bad day. If I felt like I wasn't as talented as another player, I would start telling myself I was worthless, and lets be honest, no one likes you if you're not successful, right? On the other hand, If I had a really good game, I would start feeling prideful. If students and teachers congratulated me in the hallways, I would feel special and important. I defined myself by how good of a basketball player I was, and I carried it on my shoulders for too long.  Four years too long.

Thankfully, my beautifully graceful God, pursued me (and continues to) throughout high school. Through the laughter and tears of Ballard basketball, God promised me I was more than just a basketball player. When the bell rang, and my dreams crashed, he said, "You are more than a basketball player. You are mine and I love you. I always will."

Of course I cried, bawled actually. I broke my favorite water bottle on the wall in the locker room and refused to pick up the pieces.  I loved every minute of being a Bomber, with teammates I love so much.

Nobody on three, is what we say after coming out of every huddle.  Nobody is a saying that stands for certain goals we set for every game. An example would be: Nobody out works us. When I said nobody for the last time it hit me. I am a nobody. I was never here to make a name for myself. I was here to make a name for Him.

Thank you, Jesus, for letting me be a part of something so great. I truly loved everything about it and I will cherish the beautiful memories forever.

4 comments:

  1. Holy cow. You wrote with such vulnerability, and I completely understand how we walk around with those labels. What a great connection you made to how we are nobody. I love it, and I love your beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, this was amazing. Easily the best thing I've read all week. God has a way of using sports, especially the ones we love so much it hurts, to shape us and show us how much he loves us. I'm sorry your time as a Bomber is over-- I have loved watching you play! But I am also excited to see where he takes you next and in what ways he will show you more of his grace. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This. It made me cry. And I dont cry much. You are a JOY and blessing to us. I love seeing God at work. You are an answer to prayer for us when we prayed for a smooth transition to high school for Anna. God is going to do big things through you, Emily K-Nit! Stephanie Zielke

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have grown as a woman so much in the past 4 years, Emily, and I expect to see you grow even more in the next 4 years. Growing in Christ is a life-long adventure. I love everything about you, honey -- my favorite writer. Grandma

    ReplyDelete