Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The battle: part 3

The Battle: part 3
January 7th, 2016

Dear Mother
Dear Father
Dear Sister
Dear Brother
These are my letters from the battlefield.
I’ve been fighting for a while now
but I would like you to know that 
I’m fighting to Live
not fighting to stay Alive.
My battle has been more different than I could have ever imagined.
Just last week  
I climbed a mountain with my bare feet
and once I reached the peak
I realized there was another mountain to climb
and in my time
I will have so many mountains to climb.
demons to face.
swords to sharpen.
Dear Mother
I wish I would have spent more time with you before battle.
Dear Father
I should have shared more of my dreams with you.
Dear sister
it’s so very tough out here.
Dear brother
it is still enough out here.
I have many wounds from this battle,
and a few times my heart has been pierced.
but don’t worry
my soul is still on fire.
I’ve spent a lot of time with the trees
So much time I’ve learned their personalities.

And the ocean has been telling me that I’m wild
I'm starting to believe it now.

Dear mother
I'm sorry we fought for most of my teen years. You never stopped loving me, even when I wounded you. 
Dear father
you make the best breakfast omelets I have ever had, and if I ever taste one better, I will still love yours more.
Dear sister
I should have spent more time loving you.
Dear brother
I wish I knew how to tell you
that these days I have never felt more alive.
I have found freedom
I have found purpose
And all the pain i’ve endured has been worth it.
dear mother
dear father 
dear sister
dear brother
these are my letters from the battlefield. 

everyday I die
Even though I fight


2 comments:

  1. I keep revisiting this one over and over and I can't stop coming back to it...so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete