Thursday, August 13, 2015

Don't forget Haiti

I just returned from Les Cayes Haiti for the second time in my life, and I'm extremely uneasy. I keep wondering what Youslie is up to today, or what is Geraldin laughing about today. I wonder what the stars will look like tonight, and if the boys played soccer today. I know one thing, I want to be back. I want to be there right now. But because I'm not, let me tell you about my trip, and I hope I inspire you to help make a difference in fourth world countries.

What did we do in Haiti? 
We spent a lot of time loving on orphans. Much of my time was spent sweating while playing soccer, making bracelets, jumping on the trampoline, dancing, laughing, and struggling through language barriers. I fell in love with the new boys orphanage and the energy they created. I also watched God work through some of my closest friends, and what a joy that brought to my heart. Last week, we fixed a few things here and there, visited a few villages, and played a lot of soccer, but mostly it was all about loving God, and His people.

What did I learn in Haiti?
This summer I have been attending (whenever my schedule allows) a Bible study led by a good friend of mine. In the study, we have been studying God and his character. Through the study, I have really been chewing on omnipresence. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around it. While in Haiti, we visited two church services and at both, they sang songs in Creole that we knew in English. We were worshipping the same God, in two different languages. It was such an awesome feeling. He is here, and He is there. He is omnipresent.

What was different this time?
Because this was my second trip to Haiti, I didn't think I was going to be surprised at all. Turns out, I was wrong! (but I'm never wrong?) This trip, God opened my eyes to the poverty, the hunger, and the homeless. We heard stories after stories about the seven-year-old boy who has to steal to provide food for his sisters, or about the kids that are so hungry they can't even eat when they have food. I saw the poverty on the streets and it broke my heart. Complaining about being hungry just seems so wrong now that I have seen the faces of kids who barely eat once every three days.

Thoughts.
I really believe that most people in first world countries are aware that orphans and widows and poverty and starvation are a thing. But do you know that a little boy named Jeff is homeless, and at the young age of seven he's providing for his sisters by stealing? Are first world countries aware that people leave babies in shoe boxes and that orphans all have a story. You see, I was aware of orphans and poverty before I went to Haiti, but now I know the faces, the stories and I know what it feels like to have an orphan boy hug you. I know how their hands fit into mine, and their unique personalities. I know Marvins likes to dance, Casandra likes to sing, and Ebenson likes to make people laugh. Now that I know their faces, they mean so much more to me.

It's safe to say I have left a little more of my heart in Haiti, and I can't wait to return. He is working, I dare you to help make a difference in the lives of the less fortunate.









No comments:

Post a Comment