Tuesday, August 25, 2015

High school

I’m at a new home, with new teachers, teammates, and friends. The hallways I walk everyday are not familiar, and only a handful of people know my name. I’m not lonely, yet. I know I will be, though. It’s windy today, and this afternoon smells like cross country season. The evening  feels like football season. I think of high school. The four years I spent on the swaggiest basketball court. I’m reminded of the memories I share with the girls who will be dominating this year without me. My mind wanders to the hallways I ran in, and the stairs I tripped up. Honestly, I miss the teachers, and their electric personalities. I miss the freshmen I became friends with,I miss talking to different lunch tables, and my spanish class. There are things about Ballard High I miss, but those were not the best days of my life. High school was wonderful, and I loved it, but better things are ahead. So I sit here, excited for my adventure, and because I miss you, I pray. I know people I love are going to get hurt this year. I know you all will be challenged emotionally, spiritually, and mentally. It makes me sad I don’t get to experience it with you, and because I can’t, I’m praying for you, all of you, right now.


Seniors, You’re about to take on a strange and beautiful year, filled with embarrassing and ridiculous moments. I beg you to love mondays, and to not give in to senioritis. I challenge you to be present in every situation, like you were meant to be there, and to be friends with all the freshies, and people below you. I hope you thank your teachers and coaches, and involve yourself in many activities. No, high school is not the best part of your life, but you should love it like it is going to be the best time in your life. I hope you easily embrace the process of the change that is about to occur in your life. Remember, some friends are for a lifetime, some are for high school. Always love your friends, but some you are going to have to let go. I pray you will be able to enjoy your last year, and I hope all the lasts you’re experiencing will turn into some of your most favorite memories.


Juniors, You’re almost there, but not really. I hope you’re not worrying about college. Advice: God already has a plan for your future. Stop worrying. Also, take advanced Bio for a good laugh, and take as many classes with Fletch as possible. but make sure you’re not lazy. Fletch hates lazy ;). Don’t procrastinate on dmacc classes. One all-nighter is fun, seven are not. Since I know your grade is cliquey, I want to challenge you to step out of your comfort zone, and become friends with people you probably wouldn’t. There is a danger in having a “squad”. When you only hang out with a certain group of people, you all accidently form the same opinions, and even thoughts on people. I hope this year you start seeing the world, people, and life through your own eyes. Or even better, through God’s eyes.


Sophomores, I love you all so much. When I was entering my senior year, I felt a conviction from God. To love you all, and to build relationships with you. When I was a freshman, my year was pretty terrible, until a senior girl befriended me. To be honest, getting to know you crazy kids has been such a blessing to me. You have added a joy to my life, and God has taught me a lot. I hope you all will discover deep friendships. I hope you spend more time counting the shooting stars you’ve seen in your life, than you spend partying with your “friends”. If Mr. Dovre is teaching a creative writing class, take it. You better love every minute you have class with Mrs. Jack. She has the best handwriting, and it makes note taking so easy.  I hope you 100% realize there is a Creator who loves you, and you follow him with all your heart.


Freshmen, I am actually really sad I don't get to welcome you into high school. I pray the transition goes smoothly, and you quickly feel comfortable in your new surroundings. If you’re wondering which extracurriculars you should go out for, i’ll help you: Cross country and speech competition. I regret not participating in both all four years. I hope you know you are always worth more than your gpa, athletic ability, and even more than what people say about you. I challenge you to be brave, and to talk to people who intimidate you. If you trip up the stairs, laugh. If you think you should wear makeup every day, don't. Do your homework and respect your teachers. Don’t believe the lies the upperclassmen will tell you. Always bring snacks to school. I hope you have a grand adventure! I’m excited to hear your stories, good luck!

And to all, I hope this year is a year filled with laughter, and turned in assignments. I know some of you are dreading school tomorrow, but I pray you will be excited for the new memories you’re going to make. It’s going to fly by so fast. I challenge you to all work hard this year. Whether it’s in school, sports, friendships, etc. I dare you to try new things, and meet new people. And I hope whatever emotion you’re feeling this year, whether it be happy, excited, sad, broken, etc, you feel it. Don’t go numb, feel it.

1 comment:

  1. Emily Knittel... this is beautiful. You are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete